My good friend requested this recipe, and as it is absolutely amazing and I made it up, I’m going to share it with you. It’s also totally unacceptable for my family as my husband objects to vegetables on pizza and because for my daughter we have to substitute non-dairy cheese alternative for real dairy cheese. Still, when we have pizza night this is what I choose to eat.
Best Pizza Dough
(Makes 1 large pizza, double it to make 3 mediums)
1.5 c. warm water (approximately 110F)
1 Tbsp Yeast (Or one packet if you don’t buy the stuff by the jar)
2 c. All purpose flour (plus extra for needing)
1.5 c. Whole wheat flour (Do not substitute this of white flour! It gives the crust a crunchier, better texture.)
2Tbsps (plus extra) olive oil
2 tsps salt
2 tsps sugar
- Proof your yeast. Combine water, yeast, sugar, and 1 cup of all-purpose flour in a large bowl. Set in a warm location for 10-20 minutes. It should form a frothy, bubbly mixture. (If it doesn’t check your water temp and make sure your yeast hasn’t expired.)
- Add the oil and salt, stir in the whole wheat flour and as much of the all purpose flour as you can.
- Empty the rest of the flour onto the (CLEAN!) counter, turn the dough out onto the flour and knead in remaining flour until it becomes a smooth, soft ball. This dough should be fairly soft and light. You want to work in just enough flour that it forms a ball and doesn’t stick to everything, but not enough to make the dough stiff.
- Once your dough reaches the right consistency, cover it with a dish cloth and let it double in size. (About an hour, two if your kitchen is cool.)
- Punch the dough back down and knead it again. The more you work the dough the stretchier the gluten get and the better texture your pizza crust will have.
- Preheat your oven to 450F with your pizza stone inside if you have one. (I don’t know how this turns out without a stone, sorry!)
- Carefully remove your hot pizza stone from the oven.
- Coat the outside of the dough with a thin layer of olive oil (pour about a tablespoon into your hands and smooth it around the dough. DON’T try to work it in.)
- Stretch the dough to fit your pan.
- Place the dough in the pan and bake in hot oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add layered toppings. (Add about half the cheese directly to the crust, layer the vegetables starting with the basil and spinach, then top with more cheese)
- Return to oven for 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melty and the crust is golden.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy total pizza bliss.
Amazing Sauceless Toppings
Fresh basil leaves – washed, stems removed, patted dry
Fresh spinach – washed, stems removed, patted dry
Two Roma tomatoes – Sliced Thinly
Pickled Artichoke hearts – Get the good kind in the glass jar
Onion – Sliced Thinly (optional)
Mushrooms – Sliced Thinly (optional)
Shaved Parmesan Cheese, Crumbled Feta Cheese, Shredded mozzarella Cheese
This is absolutely delish and totally not health food. It is possibly the yummiest stuff on earth.